12.04.2004

If You're Depressed and You Know It, Clap Your Hands

Same day, same Gay Pride Parade last year.

I was sitting in traffic--in the very special head trip that only depression can bring to you with its trashcan lid cymbals--surrounded by many, many Dorothy's.

Yes, that Dorothy. From the Wizard of Oz. Only there were many of them. With red glitter shoes. And some with moustaches. Oh! It was a glorious head trip.

Some were cheerfully shouting...

We're here!
We're queer!
And we won't be ignored!

...alternately with others who were shouting back...

We're here!
We're queer!
And these f**kin' heels are killin' me!

How could you not smile at this? I don't care HOW far GONE you are into depression. If someone with a moustache, a blue-checked dress and a Chihuahua in a basket is dancing next to your car, you can at least summon up a "Well, life could be worse. I could be wearing that dress."

The cheers? The cadence really sticks in your brain. Especially if you get into an OCD loop. And then, I thought of my own little cheer.

I'm...um....HERE!
I'm DEPRESSED!
And I'm GOING BACK TO BED!!!

I chanted it all the way from the parking garage to my shrink's office.

And the other people on the sidewalk? Just cleared right outta my way.

There are SOME advantages.

1 Comments:

At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to put this site up. I've bookmarked it and will be back to spend some more time here.

Check out my card greeting logo thanksgiving related site at http://holiday-stories-and-poetry.com.

John

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home