1.08.2005

Gene Pool Water Wings

Ah, childhood.

My condo neighbor, Anne, struggles with bi-polar disorder. The bad news? It is much harder to treat than my dysthemia. The good news? Her manic shopping sprees provide her with the best stocked clothes closet on this side of the Mason-Dixon line...and she SHARES!

Anne's bi-polar disorder showed up as early as my depression did. Around age 12 or 13. Both of our families went into denial for quite a long time.

Finally, Anne's parents came to realize why their daughter became alternately despondent and then overly sociable. They apologized to her for not helping her diagnose her manic-depression earlier. They called her at camp, brought her home for treatment.

My parents kept a cross and a necklace of dried garlic around for times that my crabbiness or depression got too bad.

Anne and I. One of us got water wings. The other one learned how to tread water ;)

4 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Blogger EJ said...

Denial was a HUGE thing with my family. Drugs are bad, you need church. My mom is still into the church thing...but she is all about the drugs, she takes them herself. I have to say that I LOVE finding people who have been through the struggle and the literal ups and downs. After feeling so alone for so long it is comforting to know I am not any longer.

 
At 6:57 PM, Anonymous manic depression said...

Well done on a nice blog eeyore-na. I was looking for information on teenage depression and came across your post Gene Pool Water Wings - not precisely what I was looking for related to teenage depression but an interesting read all the same!

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous manic depression said...

Well done on a nice blog eeyore-na. I was searching for information on symptoms of depression and ran across your post Gene Pool Water Wings - not exactly what I was looking for related to symptoms of depression but a very interesting read all the same!

 
At 1:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a **shirts** site. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home